Friday, 12 April 2013

the big nautical craft swap reveal...

Sooo.... I have been reliably informed that El Postie has delivered my own little crafty parcel so now it is time to reveal what is inside. 




Tea-towels! 

The rules of the International Craft Swap, run by the fabulous Rachel of House of Pinheiro were that it had to be a nautical theme and only white, red and blue could be used.







I was paired with Catherine of Clothes and Sewing and I was trying to think of something that she might like. I could see that Catherine had kids and that she likes making things for them and I thought something for the home might be nice...





These are similar to the chicken tea-towel that I made before. This time I used a medium-weight cotton. 

I made my stencils from freezer paper as before - printing the stencil on normal paper (there are tonnes on the Internet), cutting that out, then tracing it onto freezer paper and ironing the paper onto the fabric and gently brushing the fabric dye (I used Speedball) on. You need to let the first layer dry for a few hours, then do another coat. 
When it's finished and dry you need to iron them loads to fix the dye, otherwise the pattern will wash out. 




I had a bit of a major fail with my first attempt at this anchor stencil. I had cut my stencil into a square of freezer paper but accidentally managed to use the edge of the square as a stencil - doh! Anyway, I learned from my mistake and took a bit more care for the second attempt and I think it has come out pretty neat! 

Aaaar!


The third one is probably the one I am least pleased with - the letters were kind of hard. 

It was really fun to be part of this and all of the brilliant nautically themed goodies are appearing up on the flickr page. Thanks Rachel for organising! 
And thank you Catherine again for my lovely goodies!


5 comments:

  1. WOnderful -thanks for all the hard work - these are definitely appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicoline, I've nominated you for a Liebster Award. I hope you'll play along and share your favourite up and coming blogs http://www.mabelmakes.com/2013/04/the-liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you - don't be shy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...