Sunday, 3 March 2013

the envelope clutch...

I hopped on board See Kate Sew's 'clutch-along' over the last week. 



Last Monday she published a great free pattern and tutorial on making this envelope style clutch. 

We are doing up a house at the moment and I am spending what feels like most of my life in Ikea (stealing my sewing time big time!) so aptly enough, my fabric came from... Ikea! 








In fact it's quite a good choice because much of their fabric is designed for upholstery and is quite stiff and this clutch works a bit better with stiffer material.  After reading some other people's posts about making it, I decided to add another layer of interfacing, and it doesn't seem to have done it any harm. 

I didn't manage to get the lining on quite as smoothly as I would have liked. Kate advises pulling it out a bit before sewing the top flap, and I did, but obviously not quite enough. I added a line of top stitching around the edges to keep the lining in place. It's a bit wobbly around the notches, but I think I'll get away with it!

And I didn't do the button hole - basically because every button I used didn't go with the dotty fabric, so I just used a snap closure. 


Would I make it again? Yup, sure would  - and there are tonnes of inspiring interpretations on the flickr pool that I'd be taking a look at for ideas too!



1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you - don't be shy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...