Thursday, 17 January 2013

the rags to riches top...

Kia Ora friends, 

I got the fabric for my latest top in a place called Raglan in New Zealand - possibly one of the nicest places on Planet Earth!

It's a small town by the sea with a wave that makes surfers wet their pants. 



 And my brother and his girlfriend just happen to live there so I get to visit when I can get the funds and time to take a day and a half long journey to go there! 

In New Zealand people are really into a more eco way of life than here... Tonnes of recycling and people growing their own vegetables (fruit and veg just grows like crazy there) and generally living a bit more thoughtfully in a lot of ways. 





Anyway, I got this fabric in Xtreme Waste. It's Raglan's recycling centre but what makes it different to any recycling centre here is that the people working there meticulously sift through everything that gets dropped off and sell anything even remotely worthwhile through their shop. 

 It's one of those places that you never know what you might find. Like for example some random psychedelic '70s style print for a dollar! 





I made this from the pattern I drew up for my Flatter Me cowl neck top






However, I made a fatal error this time. My fabric wasn't as stretchy as the stripey jersey I got in Paris and unfortunately I didn't take this into account. Every time I put it on, I have to make sure someone is nearby to help me take it off. I wish I were joking. I'm sparing you an illustration of me attempting to wear this. 


So I'm planning on bequeathing it to a friend who is a little littler than me! 


I'm also going to keep working on the pattern so that I can post it up here sometime soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you - don't be shy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...