Friday, 11 January 2013

diy couture slouch top

Alright! The first test drive of Rosie Martin's DIY Couture - my Slouch Top. 



I used fabric from the stash that I wasn't too attached to because I really had no idea how it would turn out. Although it grew on me and I actually really like this fabric now.

Getting the markings for cutting involves doing a couple of measurements on your body and then drawing around a t-shirt that fits you snugly. 

I was lucky that there was enough though because it uses  A LOT of fabric! And there isn't a guide on how much fabric you might need in the book. I know it depends on what size you are but you are drawing in chalk straight on to the fabric so it could be a disaster if you run out.



For this one, which is the coffee classic, the front is 84cm wide and 58 cm long and the back is 109cm wide and 68cm long. So I guess you'd be looking about a metre and a half of 115cm wide fabric. 

It's quite ... eeeehhh... voluminous...


The only thing I'm not too crazy about is the whole visible seam thing. The side and shoulder seams are done last and they can peek out a little. It is particularly not great in my version because the lining is in such a contrasting colour. I used this one because it was literally the only thing I had that there would be enough of and it is a strange cream crimplene! What a strange fabric is Crimplene. 

Perhaps if the colours were more similar it wouldn't be so noticeable. But I think that with these designs, the idea is they are quick and easy to throw together, they are a bit of fun so best not to get too hung up on  some of the details. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you - don't be shy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...