Wednesday, 30 January 2013

chicken run...

A good friend of mine recently got chickens for her garden. Well, she got four hens and a cock. Unfortunately the cock turned out to be very aggressive and angry and chased her round the garden until she had to get rid of him, but it was kind of worth it to be able to have endless juvenile conversations about what a gal should do with an aggressive cock. 

There is a point to this that relates to sewing I swear. It's her birthday soon so I did a little me-made present for her. This idea is from Simple Sewing with Lola Nova. 


It's stenciling using freezer paper and fabric dye, which is very effective and much less fiddly than screen printing. 

Now, when we were growing up in Ireland, if anyone went to America they always had to bring back Levis for people at home because you couldn't get them here. Levis were like the coolest thing EVER because you couldn't get them here. Nowadays we can get pretty much anything in Ireland and anything you can't, there's always the Internet. 

Except one thing!!! FREEZER PAPER!!! There is a gap in the market here! Okay, not a very big gap in the market but a gap nonetheless. and the annoying thing is that even on the Internet, Amazon won't deliver it to Ireland. 



I managed to scam a bit from my mum who ordered it and had it delivered to her friend's son in the UK and then sent it over here! Apparently another alternative is to ask a butcher if he has any that he might give to you - they wrap the meat in it. One side is plastic coated and shiny. 

And then I started carving chickens into it. 



You iron the freezer paper on to the fabric (shiny side down) and then gently with a foam brush paint it on. 


I did this on a piece of linen and hemmed the edges and that's it, here is the tea towel! I'm really happy with how it turned out, it's a nice little way of giving a personal present to someone. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm in love with your tea towel! I've always been a bit scared of trying screen printing because it seems like a lot of steps and equipment, but this technique appears so much simpler that I may just have to try it for myself. This will be such a great present for your friend and is sure to bring fun memories of that bad rooster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrea! Yes 've tried screen printing before and it's great but yes there's quite a lot of equipment... This was my first time using freezer paper and I'm so impressed with how easy it is... it sure opens up lots of possibilities - give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too despaired of finding freezer paper on this island until I found some on FabricMatters.ie. It's out of stock on a regular basis but it arrived in a very timely manner when I managed to snap some up last month. Can't wait to try it out. Love this idea and love your blog, great to see another Irish sewintist! Looking forward to seeing what you get up to next.

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathryn
    Oh wow, that's brilliant to know - thanks so much for that! It seems to be out of stock at the moment alright but I'll keep an eye out for it!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you - don't be shy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...